The Grant Program was created by the Colorado General Assembly. It provides funding appropriated by the General Assembly, to organizations recommended by the Grant Subcommittee, to address the following priorities of the deaf, hard-of-hearing, and deaf-blind communities:
- community access where auxiliary services and aids are made available (an exceptional reason is required as this is not to supplant the ADA);
- community planning to improve coordination and access to services (e.g., involvement of exceptional community stakeholders in conducting an environmental scan, gap analysis, priority setting and strategic planning of any program);
- start-up programs that the state lacks;
- support for existing services and programs;
- other projects that meet the overall purpose of the grant program as determined by the subcommittee.